What does LCHE stand for?
Landsbaum Center for Health Education.
What is the project?
The project houses facilities for the second year medical students of the Indiana University School of Medicine-Terre Haute; students of the ISU College of Nursing, Health and Human Services, and Union Hospital's Richard G. Lugar Center for Rural Health (formerly Midwest Center for Rural Health).
Where is the facility located?
The address is 1433 N. 6 1/2 Street, Terre Haute, Indiana 47807. The building is located just south of the Union Hospital Family Medicine Center, at the corner of N. 6 1/2 St. and 6th Ave. Click here for a map and directions from I-70 to the Landsbaum Center for Health Education.
How did the three institutions decide to partner in building the facility?
Since the State of Indiana adopted the Indiana Plan for Medical Education in 1970, the IU School of Medicine-Terre Haute has been housed in facilities in Holmstedt Hall at ISU and in Terre Haute's Union Hospital. Basic Science courses and the adminstrative offices have been housed in Holmstedt Hall; clinical courses and elective clinical rotations have been at Union Hospital. Basic science faculty are IU professors or guest lecturers; clinical faculty come from Union Hospital's medical staff as well as the staffs of surrounding hospitals.
ISU constructed a Nursing Clinical Education Building on land made available by Union Hospital in 1969. Nursing students taking clinical classes at Union utilized the building. The Sycamore Nursing Clinic and Nursing Continuing Education programs were also offered at that site.
In recent years all three institutions have added programs that focus on the delivery of healthcare to rural communities.
Union established the Rural Training Track as part of its Family Medicine Residency Program; ISU and IU School of Medicine established the BA-MD program which allows students from rural communities to be admitted to IUSM-Terre Haute after satisfactorily completing their BS degree at ISU in a program designed to prepare students for medical school. The ISU College of Nursing, Health and Human Services has developed an advanced degree program for Family Nurse Practitioners, many of whom went on to practice in rural communities.
Where did the funding come from?
The budget for the construction project was $6.1 million with an additional $1.8 million set aside for advanced technology. The project was funded by the state legislature in the 1999 session of the General Assembly with an appropriation to the IU School of Medicine for Terre Haute in the amount of $2.8 million, $2.5 million of which went to this project with the remainder used to improve the teaching facilites at the Holmstedt Hall site for first year medical students. Union Hospital's Lugar Center for Rural Health has received four federal grants totaling $2.5 million from the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration. Indiana State University contributed $1.25 million through proceeds from the sale to Union Hospital of the Nursing Clinical Education Building on North 7th St. Morris Landsbaum bequeathed significant additional funds, a portion of which went into construction of the facility and a portion of which went into an endowment to ensure ongoing updated technology for the new center. Additional funds to complete the project were provided through the generosity of a number of donors.
Why is this facility necessary?
Discussions have been underway since the mid-1970's between officials of IU School of Medicine and Union Hospital about the desirability of bringing education programs to train medical students, family medicine residents and nurses together in a state-of-the-art facility that allows the sharing of staff, facilities and technology. The facilities occupied by all three programs became inadequate for current needs of the programs.
All three programs have received state and national recognition for their innovative approaches. To continue to incorporate the latest technology into the programs, modern facilities were deemed essential.
Who owns the building?
The building is owned by all three institutions.
Who designed the facility?
BSA LifeStructures, Indianapolis.
What is included in the facility?
The two-story, 30,000 square-foot building includes a 150-seat lecture hall, three classrooms, six conference rooms, Clinic facilities, study areas for students, staff and faculty offices, and housing for Indiana's first Area Health Education Center.
When was the building completed?
The building was ready in the Fall 2003 semester.
If you have any more questions, please contact:
Landsbaum Center for Health Education
1433 N. 6 1/2 Street
Terre Haute, IN 47807-1037
812/237-8387 - Fax